Wednesday, May 25, 2005

La Marquesa Goes to Qualcomm

Ok. Enough "polite." This blog has been taken over by La Marquesa. Emily Hicks, the overachiever of all time, who is such a dork she arrived early to the Italian restaurant last night (wow, the chcolate mousse was extraordinary) is getting ready to go to Day 3, but I'll be going to Qualcomm in her place. Must bring her badge. I will be bringing a portable altar: a photograph of myself in my normal attire (7" heels, a tutu), an empty pill box with red/black tiger stripes (purchased two years ago with Mark Deutrom, ex-bass player, The Melvins--he told her to bring the same small items to every gig) and a little Buddha. If asked, I will say it is my "digital story-telling shoe box stuff." This piece (for art historians) is La Marquesa's second major border crossing piece. The first one was about crossing the U.S.-Mexico border as The Wrestler Bride; this is one is crossing the digital divide.

Back to that old performance piece. When asked for ID, I opened a portable altar (eye glass case) with items from a botanica (Botanica Ochun). For that piece, Berta Jottar (filmmaker) followed me (unbeknownst to the border patrol) with a hidden video camera. Oh yeah. I was wearing a wrestler's mask. They asked me to remove it (border patrol). I said I would only remove for a female border patrol officer (I'm a QD feminist!). They got me a female border patrol officer, we were taken to a private room (I said I was going to meet with G.L.O.W.--Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling--in LA) and I removed the mask for her only. Berta taped me coming out of secondary.

Hicks did one good thing today, and it may have been a result of her attendance at this Emerging thing she's doing. She got her kid to laugh. She was going on, on the way to High Tech High, this morning, about growing seeds, and environmental chemistry, and the relationship between photosynthesis and global warming, and how she could wear a hemp T-shirt and teach this stuff in a GE course, because she's straight-edge when it comes to "seeds"...and the students would do the assignment (she's tried it before--they grow the seeds in their closets)...anyway, her High Tech High kid, as they are driving to school, listening to Flogging Molly ("I've been down in this world, down and almost broken") got that little smile that sixteen year-olds don't normally get on their faces when talking to their moms...

Off to Qualcommm...a ver que pasa

1 Comments:

Blogger critbritlit said...

Hi Emily! Loved that comment about getting your sixteen-year-old to laugh. I can hardly wait (big grimace) for my kid to get to sixteen...right now she thinks everything I say is just so funny. It's been great, but alas, I'm sure it is all too soon before I become her biggest embarrassment in miles. So I'm trying not to get used to it....Laurel

5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home