I have submitted my book mss. to an academic press. This book is the first book (to my knowledge) that analyzes both Melungeons and Redbones (mixed--European/African/Native ancestry) in relation to literature, art and popular culture. I trace the migration of Redbone families from the Carolinas to California using a border perspective; I link the Louisiana/Texas "neutral ground" history/culture to the Mexico-US border. I hope to reach academics, graduate students, undergraduates, the general reader and those studying their own family histories, especially Redbones and Melungeons.
I have been able to trace the migration of Melungeon and Redbone families from the Great Dismal Swamp region to the Louisiana-Texas-border region, Oklahoma and California. I discuss not only pirates and bank robbers but also Rev. Joseph Willis. I want to encourage those in the fields of Melungeon Studies and Redbone Studies to continue to search for links to Native communities and to Choctaws and Creeks in particular. Because I am linked to Pitchlynn Choctaws through the Rosses, I hope that others will find my research useful in their studies of their own mixed ancestry families.
The contribution that I am trying to make is to synthesize the research in the field of Melungeon and Redbone studies in light of recent DNA findings. I discuss literature, art and popular culture as well as genealogical familial links and migration patterns. Expanding on existing research, I focus on Sand Mountain and two counties in Texas (Anderson and DeWitt). Anderson County is in East Texas.
Educators hoping to teach courses that include Melungeons and Redbones will find this book useful because I include a children's Literature author and artist, Clare Turlay Newberry (the "cat lady"), author of April's Kittens and many other books. I discuss the way in which her books helped children to deal with adversity (including economic adversity) and with being different (and/or coming from families that were organized differently from cultural norms).
More topics:
I also discuss Lisa Alther (Melungeon), Robert E. Howard (new info for his fans), author of the Conan the Barbarian series and Alt-La-Tex stories and DFW (David Foster Wallace--French Canadian). I am related to Solomon Chambers; he was the best friend of Howard's father.
I include information about contemporary Native artists (James Luna) and multi-ethnic artists and art collective (BAW-TAF and Las Comadres). Readers studying their own family histories will find new connections linking well-known historical figures, including George Washington and Napoleon Bonaparte, to mixed families. Here is a partial list of other historical/well-known figures: Daniel Boone, Jerome Napoleon Bonaparte Patterson, Elizabeth Patterson, John Steinbeck, Pablo Picasso, Gertrude Stein, H.P. Lovecraft and Francoise Gilot.
The methodological approach in this book is grounded in Deleuzian theory and complexity. I have been working on complexity and border since the mid-1990s with geophysicist B.T Werner (CASP0, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, University of California, San Diego).
My DNA results (along with those of my mother) are not surprising given our Redbone background. We both show "South Asian" ancestry. Redbone scholars have traced this ancestry to the Roma community.
More Topics--Anarchists, Swamps, Maroons, Resistance, Zombies, Zomia, Pirates and More:
Jason Adams (Melungeon/anarchist), Hakim Bey, the Ben Ishmael Tribe, Jean Lafitte (pirate), a short story by Borges ("The Cruel Redeemer Lazarus Morell"), zombies and the Haitian Revolution (and vodoun), Zomia (Jame C. Scott), Hellboy (Mignola).
Labels: D. Emily Hicks, Emily Hicks, Great Dismal Swamp, Melungeons, Neutral Ground, Redbones, Robert E. Howard

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home